Open Source Hacking
Monthly Archives: October 2011
Another long week has come and gone and I am here to do some updating! (Otherwise known as housekeeping since it’s kind of mandatory)
Today is the due date for our second release in the OSD600 course. We are supposed to show that we have adapted ourselves to the open source community and shown that we have made measurable contributions to the community that we are involved with, or something along those lines at least. I feel that I have been able to achieve that goal for a few reasons.
- I am accustomed to the coding convention styles that the community uses in all of their files. One common problem I had before the first release was that my code wouldn’t pass reviews because of conflicts with style. I have been able to learn from that and only had one minor incident (which truthfully I was surprised I did as I thought I had caught them all) when getting my ticket #740 approved and staged for the 1.0 release of Popcorn.js .
Anyway, on to the tickets that I worked on this semester. In addition to #740 linked above I am working on (Still! I know!) the tumblr plugin. I’m happy that I can say that the Facebook plugin is now completely redone and should be much more efficient as well as the testing that went along with it. Now the unit tests that are provided for the plugin are more robust and also test a lot more situations than the previous incarnation did.
Unfortunately at the same time I’m kind of disappointed with myself and the amount of work I did get done for the tumblr plugin. It still isn’t in a functional state because of the difficulty I am having writing the callback function handling the returned JSON from their API. On the plus side once I do have everything working all of the demo html and unit testing files are complete and ready to be used. The other issue that I need to figure out is how to use an oAuth key as it is required for the followers type.
Overall I am happy with the work that I have accomplished and I look forward to finishing this ticket finally for our 0.3 release along with whatever else I pickup along the way!
Holy crap this thing is creeping up on us fast. It’s hard to believe that we only have until the end of Thursday this week to have it in and completed.
I’ll admit I wanted to be farther along now than I am. I’ve finished the facebook plugin updates for now and am waiting on my final ticket to pass reviews and be staged. I’m fairly confident it will pass unless I missed something that needed to be implemented because of what I have learned from my previous finished tickets. With those I had failed review for smaller details with style that I never noticed before along with merge conflicts. However I have learned from these and made sure I checked for everything before my final commit and updating the ticket on lighthouse.
As far as my tumblr plugin goes it’s still in an non functional state. I really need to set aside a larger portion of time to get that callback function working so I can hopefully have some of the features working for our 0.2 release. I’m hoping to have something more presentable by Wednesday, but I’m just hoping I have enough work done to be considered for a decent mark in our 0.2 release.
Sorry for the vague and kind of rushed post here. Unfortunately OSD600 isn’t the only course I have to worry about this semester along with my job 😛
See you all later this week!
Gees. Ment to blog about this a fair bit sooner in the week but I guess I just forgot/was lazy or something along those lines. None the less I’m here to provide some insight on the work I’ve been doing since my last blog post.
After getting the work done for our 0.1 release for OSD600, it was the 30th of September and I was on my way out from classes that day when Dave Seifried asked me if I wanted to come down and help them run some of the many test suites they have. I decided I would as it would help provide some insight into the kind of work that goes into a major release, just how much scrutiny things were under and why there can be such harsh requirements when it comes to getting some of your code accepted.
You can see the kind of work we had to do here in this testing ticket where people were required to say what test suites you ran, what browsers and what operating system you were using. As you could see there were a number of issues with Opera due to one bug and issues with some of the parsers running on OSX Lion. It’s key that you run these kinds of tests often because things can change and no longer function for unforeseen reasons. If you don’t then you run the risk of it becoming a major problem for the people who use your software.
As far as my work goes the two tickets I currently have, I admittedly haven’t been able to put in as much work as I may have wanted to. Been busy with other class work and then seeing friends over this long weekend but that doesn’t mean I haven’t done anything!
I have most of ticket #740 done but there is this one problem I haven’t been able to figure out. In my demos the comments plugin does load just fine but for some reason it will cut off any comments if it’s trying to display 2 or more, but only on MY browser. Dave looked at it and for some reason it’s functioning just fine on his.
Apologies for the late blog post this week folks. Just slipped my mind with everything else that has been going on.