Open Source Hacking
My 0.1 Release for OSD600 with Popcorn.js
My chosen project for my 0.1 Release, and hopefully rest of the semester as I frankly enjoy it a lot, is Popcorn.js.
For media makers:
Popcorn.js is an event framework for HTML5 media. Popcorn.js utilizes the native HTMLMediaElement properties, methods and events, normalizes them into an easy to learn API, and provides a plugin system for community contributed interactions.
Basically my job here with these two tickets was to first fix that one small typo and then add two missing tests for there. After that it was brought up that there were a fair amount of inefficiencies with the code. A fair amount of the code was duplicated in places and because of how the facebook API functioned a lot of it could be refactored to be made simpler.
In the end I added a lot to the tests as well as I found plenty of things that were missing. This helps a lot because it makes sure that the code is robust and errors that could affect the users aren’t slipping through.
I make it sound easy, but really I went through a lot. If you read the comments for ticket 734 you can see that I had my code rejected more than once. It ranged from merge conflicts to style choices to me simply forgetting to write tests for one or two things (Seriously folks, get used to writing tests). I’m happy that I encountered these problems early on as it makes me feel almost like a seasoned vet of the project (Well, that’s probably a stretch :P).
For now I’m looking forward to contributing more to Popcorn.js with their 1.0 release in the coming months. There’s a lot of work coming that’s going to need people to help work on and I’ll be there to do it! Look for #350 and #740 code coming in the next few weeks as this is my plan of attack at this point!